If you are considering changing your major, take these next steps:
- Visit the UCI Change of Major Criteria website for a listing of specific change of major guidelines for our majors. (Note that we do not make exceptions to policy. Also, most majors have a unit cap, and an AP exam score is not accepted as a grade for change of major.)
- Change of Major criteria applies to students with 120 units or less. Please see UCI’s change of major guidelines for additional information. (Per campus policy, students cannot change their major over 120 units, excluding AP/IB units and/or transfer units taken in high school.)
- Change of major is not automatic. If you are eligible to change, submit a Change of Major Application online through by going to Student Access> Applications> Change of Major. (Note that to apply, all of the Change of Major Criteria must be completed and grades must be posted on your transcript.)
- Applications are processed in the order in which they are received. Allow for 3-4 weeks processing time.
- Please be aware that submitting an application does not guarantee that you will be admitted. Should your application be denied, the application will have a comment explaining the reason for denial.
Note for ICS Undeclared students: As ICS Undeclared, students would receive priority registration into ICS courses. ICS Undeclared students also have access to our ICS counselors if they have questions about declaring an ICS major.
ICS Undeclared majors are provided the same resources and opportunities as an ICS declared major. Placement in the ICS Undeclared major provides students with the opportunity to take programming courses and make a more informed decision when deciding on a major in the future. We expect our ICS Undeclared majors to determine the right major for them at the end of their first year experience in the program.