The ICS community has played a key role in the information technology revolution and remains on the forefront of innovation in computing.
Foreseeing the critical importance of curated and shared datasets for machine learning, ICS researchers put together the UCI Machine Learning Repository almost four decades ago, arguably the first public dataset for machine learning and still in use today. They also were on the forefront of high-performance computing, exploring some of the first massively-parallel processor architectures and efficient communication protocols for networked computers.
ICS alumni have pioneered technologies that enabled the adoption of the Internet by billions of users, including the design of DNS and the specification of HTTP. Moreover, they have co-founded or led dozens of venture-capital-backed startups, including:
- AmberPoint (acquired by Oracle)
- Angstro (acquired by Google)
- Avast (listed on LSE, acquired by Norton LifeLock)
- Emotive Communications (acquired by Zad Mobile)
- Forte Software (acquired by Sun Microsystems)
- Nomimum (acquired by Akamai Technologies)
- Pluralsight (listed on NASDAQ, acquired by Vista Equity Partners)
- Silk Labs (acquired by Apple)
- Zenographics (acquired by Marvell Technology)
- zyBooks (acquired by Wiley)
ICS faculty also have been active commercializing technologies from their research groups, launching several new ventures that include:
- Actavalon Inc.
- Arris Pharmaceutical (acquired by Celera Genomics)
- Summit Technologies
- Vicara Health