2023-01-01: We are part of the $50.5M center for near-storage and near-memory computing research with the Semiconductor Research Corporation!
2021-10-26: UCI ICS wrote an article about our best paper in FPL, which involves a high school research assistant! [link
2021-03-27: Collaboration project with Samsung has started for cost-effective neural network acceleration on Smart SSDs
2020-12-22: Collaboration project with vmware is continuing into its third year!
2019-07-31: Collaboration project with vmware has started for flash storage management with near-storage acceleration
2019-06-05: NSF proposal for elastically allocated FPGAs in the cloud has been funded
2018-06-06: "Thanks for the memories
", The Next Platform's article on my research
Assistant professor at the
Computer Science Department
Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences
University of California, Irvine
Contact: swjun _AT_ ics.uci.edu
Before joining UC Irvine in 2018, I earned my Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2018), working with Professor Arvind.
I have earned my B.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering at Seoul National University (2010).
My research is in innovative system architectures for low-cost high-performance computing
My two prominent tools right now are Non-Volatile Memory (NVM)
and reconfigurable hardware accelerators
- libsortreduce Library implementing the Sort-Reduce algorithm for sequentializing random updates into secondary storage, introduced in the GraFBoost paper.
- GraFBoost / BigSparse Graph analytics platform for handling very large graphs quickly using secondary storage, built using libsortreduce.
- BluespecPCIe High-performance PCIe library for the Xilinx 7 series FPGAs in the Bluespec language, including hardware core and software library.
My Google Scholar Profile
- 2023: Our paper on a near-storage accelerator for large-scale graph neural network tranining will be published at the International Conference on Parallel Architectures and Compilation Techniques (PACT) 2023
- 2023: Our paper on a near-storage accelerator for graph analytics have been selected in the ISCA@50 retrospective, which selects 100-ish papers of interest from ISCA over the past 25 years! [link]
- 2022: Our paper on memory-efficient hardware accelerator for bloom filter construction has been published at the International Conference on Field-Programmable Logic and Applications (FPL) 2022
- 2022: Our paper on very low-power hardware accelerators for floating-point PID controllers has been published at the (International Symposium on Highly-Efficient Accelerators and Reconfigurable Technologies) HEART 2022
- 2022: Our paper on hardware accelerators for weight and feature map compression of embedded neural networks has been published at MDPI Electronics 2022
- 2022: Our paper on floating-point compression for scientific simulation acceleration has been published at the Transactions on Reconfigurable Technology and Systems (TRETS) 2022
- 2021: Our paper on a near-storage accelerator for unstructured log analytics has been accepted to the International Symposium on Microarchitecture (MICRO) 2021
- 2021: Our IoT acceleration paper at FPL has been voted a Best Paper!
- 2021: Our paper on extremely low power (17 mW !) accelerator for recurrent neural networks on IoT devices has been accepted to the International Conference on Field-Programmable Logic and Applications (FPL) 2021
- 2021: Our paper on cost-effective somatic mutation calling has been accepted to the Frontiers in Genetics 2021
- 2020: Our paper on integer stream compression acceleration for high-dimensional nearest neighbor search near-storage has been accepted to the Internaltional Conference on Field-Programmable Technologies (FPT) 2020
- 2020: Our paper on database join query acceleration on memory-constrained hardware accelerators has been accepted to the ACM SIGOPS Asia-Pacific Workshop on Systems (ApSys) 2020
- 2020: Our paper on edge computing to reduce data movement for IoT sensor nodes has been accepted to the International Conference on Application-specific Systems, Architectures and Processors (ASAP) 2020
- 2020: Our paper on data movement reduction for scientific simulation acceleration as been accepted to the International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS) 2020
- 2019: Our paper on hardware-optimized scientific data compression has been accepted to the Internaltional Conference on Field-Programmable Technologies (FPT) 2019