Eppstein Relatives and Namesakes on the Net
California/New Zealand Eppsteins:
- I am David Arthur Eppstein <email@example.com>.
My first and middle names come from my late grandparents,
David Nathan Eppstein (1904-1937) and Arthur Sambrook Dinsdale.
Eppstein <firstname.lastname@example.org>, my wife, is
an expert in user-interfaces and a programmer for
Dr. Harvey Eisenberg.
Her web site is mostly filled with
pictures of our
children Sara Caitlin and Timothy Dylan; there are
even more pictures on my own site.
We live in Irvine, California.
- Anthony David Eppstein
my father, is a photographer, web
designer, and retired disk drive engineer.
He and my mother,
a poet, writer, editor, and publisher, now live in Mendocino, California.
- Simon Anthony Eppstein, Cynthia Lynn Eppstein, Logan Stanley
Eppstein, and Aaron Christopher Eppstein <Eppslo@aol.com> are my brother,
sister-in-law, and two nephews respectively. Simon is an industrial
designer; Cindy is a tech writer for a dental equipment firm.
They live in Oakley, California.
- Deborah Anne Eppstein is a VP at Theratech in Salt Lake CIty,
Utah. She is a pharmaceuticals researcher with a Ph.D. from U.
Arkansas in 1975 and publications including Cancer Immunology
Immunotherapy 36 (1993) 171-176, Science 246 (1989) 1293-1297, J.
Cell Phys. 141 (1989) 420-430, and many US patents
including two with her brother Jonathan.
- Elizabeth Ellen Eppstein Downs <email@example.com> the
oldest daughter of Samuel and Dorothy, is a partner with OWP&P Architects Inc., specializing
in health care architecture, and is also a tournament bridge
- Jonathan Arthur Eppstein, son of Samuel and Dorothy, is vice
president of research and development for SpectRx, an Atlanta
laser company, and has apparently written a technical paper or two
police Lidar speed detectors.
- Laurel Katherine Eppstein <firstname.lastname@example.org>, daughter of
Samuel and Dorothy, is a database designer for the National Council
of the Pulp and Paper Industry for Air and Stream Improvement.
Margaret Jean Eppstein <email@example.com>,
daughter of Samuel and Dorothy, is a lecturer in computer science
at U. Vermont. Fortunately her interests are in scientific
computation rather than (say) discrete algorithms.
- Samuel Hillel Eppstein and his wife Dorothy Jean Dodd Eppstein
(parents of Betsy, Deborah, Jonathan, Laurel, and Margaret) built a
Lloyd Wright house near Kalamazoo. According to daughter
Laurel, Samuel and his brother Victor changed their name to
Eppstein after learning that one of their P's had been lost when
the family immigrated to the U.S. This seems to be the same Samuel H.
Eppstein who wrote a thesis on "The Parenteral Utilization of Amino
Acids" for UIUC in 1936 and authored US patents
for Upjohn in Kalamazoo.
- April J'Lene Eppstein <Aprilshan@aol.com>, daughter of
James Charles, lives in Mississippi.
Christopher Mark Eppstein <firstname.lastname@example.org>
went to Caltech (where he co-authored a Phys. Rev. Lett. paper on
"Parity Violation in Elastic Electron-Proton
Scattering and the Proton's Strange Magnetic Form Factor").
He now works as a software engineer for
and runs websites
- James Charles Eppstein <email@example.com>, son of Michael F.,
lives in Ocean Springs, Mississippi.
- Jennifer Adele Eppstein <firstname.lastname@example.org>,
daughter of Mark William and Leslie, majored in business administration
at CSU Fresno and currently works in pharmaceutical sales.
- Julia Armstrong-Mazur Eppstein married Chris in December 2003,
and attends Mill College.
- Katie Joyce Eppstein
is the youngest daughter of Mark William and Leslie,
soon heading to college after her high school graduation
in June 2004.
- Mark William
Eppstein <email@example.com>, son of Michael
F., and his wife Leslie Lauren Eppstein live in Cambria, California. They have
three children: Christopher Mark, Jennifer Adele, and Katie
- Michael F. Eppstein <firstname.lastname@example.org> passed away in March
of 2002. in Los Angeles, California. His father Jerry was born in the New
York area to a Max Eppstein who fled Russia due to Bolshevik
persecution in the 1880's; the two-p spelling may have been acquired by
Max at Ellis Island. Jerry married Madeline
(née Plumado) in 1928, who was born in Wisconsin in the 1880's and
moved with her family to Placerville, California in the early 1900s. The Plumado
house, where Madeline grew up, is now a historical landmark in
Placerville. Jerry and Madeline had three children: Judy Thornley
(Passed away in 1999), Michael F., and
Esther McDonald (living in Woodland Hills, California). A fourth
daughter, Helen Bolton was born to Madeline from a previous marriage.
Michael F. has five sons: Michael Dana, James Charles, Mark William,
Matthew Allen (mysteriously vanished, last seen in Twenty-Nine Palms
California in 2000, although rumors he had been found surfaced again in
2004), and Thomas Lee.
- Thomas Lee Eppstein <email@example.com>, son of
Michael F., runs several web sites: http://www.knoxvilleiowa.com,
M. Fosse's Eppstein relatives:
Eppstein (1923-1994) and his children
Steven W. Eppstein (1950-1999),
Robert E. Eppstein,
Laurel A. Eppstein,
Richard I. Eppstein,
and Christopher J. Eppstein (1961-1990).
- Bob Eppstein
is a maintenance tech. at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson.
- Davis & Eppstein P.C. is or was a law firm in Tucson,
Arizona, at which Judge Kenneth Lee
- Robert W. Eppstein is apparently another genealogist: he has
written an article "My great-grandfather's journal" for Stammbaum
(The Journal of German-Jewish Genealogical Research).
- Mrs. Robert W. Eppstein is a donor
to KUAT (U. Ariz. tv/video station).
- Roz Eppstein is an abstractionist artist reviewed in the
- Steven Wolfner
was survived by children Matthew Eppstein and Meghann Eppstein; mother
Audrie (m. Don Johnson), stepmother Roz Eppstein, brother and
sister-in-law Bob Eppstein and Olga Eppstein, sister Laurie Eppstein
Montano, and brother and sister-in-law Richard and Pam Eppstein.
- Barbara Carpenter is the granddaughter of Carrie Eppstein Livingston.
She writes: "Three Eppstein Brothers, Max, Elias and Leopold emigrated
to the U.S. from Germany in 1854 (approximately). Two sisters, Charlotte
and Rosalie, remained behind. Rosalie married a man named Simon. Their
grandson became the managing director of Rosenthal China. Charlotte
married Heinrich Guttman and had at least one son , Otto. Their son,
Harvey Guttman lives in the U.S. The brothers settled in Saint Joseph,
Missouri and owned a soap factory. The factory burned down and Leopold
and Elias moved to Texas (perhaps Sherman, Texas). Max (4/1825-4/1903
moved to Denver and he and his wife, Bertha Herzberg (10/1837-2/1912)
had seven children: Seraphene, Julia, Helen, Carrie, Arthur, and twin
girls, Lily and May. Arthur, the only son married Viola Strauss. They
had two children, Helen and Lily and, thus the Max Eppstein branch name
was lost. ... I would love to find out about the families of Leopold
and Elias, but have been unsuccessful to date."
- The Arthur
Eppstein Insurance Achievement Award was likely named after Arthur
(above), who owned Oregon Automobile and Causality Company in Portland.
Eppstein Morris, Arthur's daughter, graduated from Barnard in 1929
and endowed the Morris-Eppstein Scholarship Fund there in 1996.
I haven't sorted out all the connections here, but a lot of these
people seem to be related to each other.
- Alexander Richard Eppstein <firstname.lastname@example.org>,
son of Richard T., is now a student at U. Penn.
- Andrew C.
Eppstein <email@example.com> son of Richard
T., is a resident at the Indiana University School of Medicine, from
Hong Kong by way of Toledo (where he
published two papers on vascular flow), Yale, and CWRU.
- Connie Eppstein, Richard T.'s sister-in-law, is a
geriatric social worker at the Medical College of Ohio.
Her husband Ed Eppstein passed away in August 2001.
- David M. Eppstein <firstname.lastname@example.org>
is or was somehow associated with Cleveland State Univ. and passed the July
1996 Ohio bar exam
- Edward J. (Ebby) Eppstein, Richard T's late uncle, founded the
Webstrand Corp. and helped plan the Arrowhead
business park in Maumee, Ohio.
- Jean and Stanley Eppstein of Youngstown, Ohio helped found the Tuckerman Family Breast Cancer Research Endowment Fund at OSU. Apparently these are the same Jean and Stanley who were parents of Steven David.
- Joseph Eppstein of Toledo, Ohio received
from Harry S. Truman dated 14 Nov 1944 on Senate Committee on
Military Affars stationary.
Eppstein (1848-1878) is buried in Cedar Hill Cemetery,
- Laura Eppstein of Reading, Ohio placed 25th in the 1995 Junior
Olympics Midget Girls' High Jump.
- Michael Alan Eppstein <email@example.com>, a student
at Ohio State U.,
studied horticulture in spring 1996.
- Richard T. Eppstein <firstname.lastname@example.org>
is the father of Alexander Richard and Andrew C., and president of
the Toledo Better Business
- Steven David Eppstein is the son of Jean Leopold Eppstein and the late Stanley M. Eppstein, who was the son of Meyer Eppstein of Toledo Ohio. As of 2006, Steven and his two sons Sppencer Meyer (b.1991) and Austin Mark-Paul (b.1993) live in Youngstown, Ohio.
Eppstein <email@example.com>, b. 1967, daughter of Paul and sister of Golda, is a
Zurich-based contemporary artist.
Eppstein, b. 1969, daughter of Paul and sister of Esther, is
an actress, mainly working in children's theater. She and her husband
Roman Bernhard Eppstein have two children Max and Pina.
- Paul Eppstein (16 Dec 1917 - 19 Nov 2001) was the father of Esther
and Golda. According to Esther, he grow up in Zurich as a son of Jewish
Polish immigrants, originaly called Epztain, but his father was called
Bernhard Epstein (spelling changed to be more German). During World War
II, Paul lost his Polish citizenship but avoided being deported and
after the war became a Swiss citizen, somehow gaining another P in his
name (perhaps to be more Swiss). He was well known in Zurich as a
sportsman, friend of many artists and actors, art collecter, and
Well, I'm sure they're related to someone, but I don't know to
Aronoff's Chicago Eppstein relatives:
Eppstein (1836-1900) and his children Lena Eppstein, Benjamin Eppstein,
Bertha Eppstein Loewy
Ida Eppstein Simmons,
Nellie Eppstein, and Hattie Eppstein.
- "Miss Eppstein"
married Jacob August in 1855 in New York.
- Arnold, Gustav, and Wilhelm Israel Eppstein are listed
page apparently having something to do with the holocaust
(but written in Czech).
- Ben Eppstein was one of the discoverers of the body of
a mining town businessman who was the last person lynched in California,
- Bob Eppstein is staff liaison to the Community
Development Board of Appeals, Salem, Oregon.
- Brian Eppstein was honored as an
outstanding high school scholar-athlete by the Brady Co. of
Milwaukee in Oct. 1996 and has a USCF
chess tournament rating of 789. Is this the same Brian Eppstein
included in this list of lazy or
unwilling Shakespearean students for his now-inaccessible query
on Hamlet's father's ghost?
The same or another
Brian Cran Eppstein
associated with The
U. Wisconsin Computer Aided Engineering facility and
majoring in chem. eng.,
biochem., and math. at U. Wisc. He
members named Gala Eppstein, Jessica Eppstein, and Sam Eppstein.
Yet another Brian Eppstein was part of
Instruments' Tip Exchange / Tip Compensation Team.
- Bryan Eppstein is a
political consultant and
campaign strategist for Fort Worth mayor Kay Granger.
- Count Eberhard II von Eppstein built the Marksburg
castle on the Rhine around the beginning of the 13th
- D. Eppstein of Vipont Research Labs, Saskatoon wrote about
production of sanguinarine in J. Fermentation and Bioengr. 74
- David Eppstein <firstname.lastname@example.org>
is a staffer at the Medical
Academic and Scientific Community Organization, Inc. of Boston,
and contact person for their mercury wastewater discharge
Dori Eppstein <email@example.com>
is a psychology master's student at San Diego State U.
- Rabbi Elias Eppstein wrote a "Kansas city diary" in the early
1880's, which Howard Sachs wrote about in an article catalogued
here. He also wrote the
Guide to the Mosaic Religion. According to information provided to
me by Philip Braverman from the book
Roots in a Moving Stream: The Centennial History of Congregation
B'nai Jehudah of Kansas City 1870-1970 (Frank J. Adler, 1972), Elias
Eppsteinwas born in 1831, the son of an Alsatian
rabbi, came to the USA in 1852, and served congregations in Syracuse NY,
New York City, Jackson MI, Detroit MI, Milwaukee, Kansas City,
Philadelphia, and finally Quincy, IL, where he was buried after his
death in 1906. He is apparently not the same as the Elias Eppstein of
Saint Joseph, MO, listed above under Missori/Texas/Colorado/Oregon
Eppsteins despite at one point living within 50 miles of each other.
- Edward Julius Eppstein
(1923-1987) is buried in Nat. Mem. Cemetery of the Pacific, Oahu.
- Eitan Eppstein, Reggi Eppstein, and Sarah Marder-Eppstein
were present at the 17 Sep 1996 meeting of the Evanston IL library
- Emma and
W. H. Eppstein are listed in the 1900 St. Louis Obituary Index.
Eppstein Hauser d. May 1996.
Levinson, widow of Robert, lives in Southfield MI,
and has children Landra Eppstein Rosenthal (a legal worker in Berkeley,
and Richard Eppstein (married to Joann Eppstein) in Windsor, Ontario.
- Hans Eppstein is a musicologist (at Uppsala?), some of whose
publications are listed in the J. S.
Bach bibliography and some of which are published by
In 1997 he became a member of honour of
International Joseph Martin Kraus Soc..
- Helene Eppstein (b. 1592) is included in
- Henry Eppstein was
of the Eureka Benevolent Soc.
- Jim Eppstein, of the Irvine(!) police dept.,
officer of the year for 1998 by the Orange County Auto Theft Advisory
- The same or another Jim Eppstein
served in the US Navy 1972-1976.
- Joe Eppstein of Ft. Thomas, Kentucky, has email <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
- Joe Eppstein won a
trophy from the Inland Lake Yachting Assoc. in 1976.
- John Eppstein wrote "Has the Catholic Church Gone Mad?" (no.943
catalog). Is this the same Eppstein
cited here for "The Historicity of the Gospel Account of the
Cleansing of the Temple"?
- John Eppstein of Caversham Reading, England, has email address
- Joseph M. Eppstein (d. 1941) is buried in Ft. Leavenworth Nat. Cemetery, Kansas.
- Joseph S. Eppstein of Evanston, Illinois, has email address
- Julius Eppstein's Plaza Florist (0418 Sutter St.) was included
this collection of photographs of San Francisco in the
Leslie Eppstein (1897-1946) is buried in Los Angeles Nat. Cemetery,
- Kate Eppstein <Kateeppstein@tesco.net>
is interested in Sussex genealogy.
- Katya Eppstein is apparently a musician or composer,
responsible for Der
Jägersmann. Perhaps this is a typo for Katya Ebstein?
- Ken Eppstein is a fine artist and graphic designer for The
Lenox Group (multimedia design studio). Their host www.lenox.com no
longer seems to exist (Sep 1996). He also provided the graphics for
- L. Eppstein worked with Joseph
Shiloach at the NIH on carbohydrate metabolism in insect cell
- Lee Bernhardt Eppstein received a Ph.D. from Texas Christian U.
in 1971 and is chief scientist at New Brunswick Sci. Corp. with
patents and publications including J. Phys. Chem. 97 (1993) 3885-3889 (cited by
this paper), and J. Biotech. 23 (1992) 291-301.
- Leonard Eppstein of Texas went to Notre Dame
- Lori Eppstein is a journalist in Northern California, with
stories in the Pt.
Golden Gater, Jewish
Bulletin of Northern Calif., and Coastal
- M. Eppstein is co-author of "A Cultural Resources Survey of the
Red River Waterway from Shreveport, Louisiana, to the Mississippi
River", U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, 1981, cited by a National Park Service
environmental assessment of the Cane River area.
- Marty Eppstein was a
drummerboy leatherman contestant from Northern California.
- Maurice J. Eppstein of Redwood City, Calif. is a veteran of the US Army Air
Corps / Air Force 345th Bomb Group.
- Max Eppstein was a liquor dealer listed in the 1900 Census for Denver,
at 438 29th Street 67-68, with family consisting of himself (b. Apr
1855, imm. 1869), wife Rosa (b. Aug 1862, imm. 1872),
son Zarie (b. Apr 1880),
dau Fannie (b. Oct 1882),
dau Ethel (b. Jan 1884),
son Julius J. (b. Jan 1886),
son Harry J. (b. Jul 1886),
dau Lillie (b. Jan 1890),
and dau Sadie (10 months old in June 1990).
- Mike Eppstein is listed as chair for
meeting on technical analysis of stock markets.
The same or another Mike Eppstein <email@example.com>
is a Milla Jovovich
- Mike Eppstein is the stage name for
Eppstein married Amelia O'Brien, 1 Dec 1873 in Galesburg, Illinois.
S. Eppstein Allen (1919-2000), dau. of Ernest E. and Elizabeth
Eppstein (1901-1944) was a Jewish leader in Nazi Germany, sent to
- Pascal Eppstein of Gavle, Sweden, has email address <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Renaud Eppstein <email@example.com> is a
combinatorialist at the University of Marne la Vallée.
- Rick Eppstein <RichardE@otg.com
works in sales for OTG software
in Bethesda, Maryland.
- Rudolph M. Eppstein is mentioned in a
which includes references to Eppsteins in the 1880 census for Champaign,
Illinois, and the 1900 census for Chicago.
The spelling seems uncertain, though, since Rudolph's son is listed with
only one P.
Eppstein married Sarah Rosenfeld, San Francisco, 1880, and had a son in
- Sam Eppstein is
senior partner of Eppstein Uhen
Architects Inc., a firm originally founded by an
associate of Frank Lloyd Wright. (According to Betsy Downs, he
is not known to be related to Samuel Hillel Eppstein, despite their
shared architectural interests.)
- Serge Eppstein <firstname.lastname@example.org>
is a Procol Harum fan
- Sigfrid and Widerat von Eppstein are listed as "Regenten" (for
the years 1058-1060 and 1060-1075 respectively) in this chronical of
the city of Fulda (Germany).
Eppstein is a 6th-grader in Sunnyvale, Calif.
M. Eppstein, widow of Victor Eppstein died Oct 2000 in Maine,
leaving survivors including a son John H. D. Eppstein of San Francisco.
Is either this Victor or the Rabbi Victor Eppstein
the same as the Victor Eppstein who was
brother of Samuel Hillel Eppstein?
Rose Eppstein married Benjamin Capin in 1928.
- Sylviane Robardey-Eppstein
is somehow associated with Groupe Hugo in France.
Eppstein sailed on the S.S. Silesia from Hambirg to New York, Jan. 1882.
- Ury Eppstein of the Hebrew Univ. of Jerusalem (maybe in their
East Asian Studies?)
studies Japanese performing arts and reviews musical
performances for the Jerusalem Post and for the Israel Review
of Arts and Letters.
- The Palais Eppstein is a building in Vienna, Austria,
for parliamentarian purposes.
Eppstein is also the name of a town near Frankfurt,
Bob Eppstein Scholarship award is given annually by the
Oregon Building Officials Assoc.
Chateau D'Eppstein is a novel by Alexandre Dumas père,
about an ancient aristocratic family who live in a crumbling castle
in the Taunus mountains north of Frankfurt.
- Eppstein Uhen Architects
- Herbst, Eppstein, Keller & Chadek, Inc., 210 E. Michigan
St., Ste. 100, Milwaukee, is for some reason included in this address
- Eppstein Group Inc. is a central Texas
- Lindy Banks <email@example.com>,
my wife's grandmother, is a bridge life master.
- Chris Cassel <firstname.lastname@example.org,
Ynniks@ix.netcom.com, Ynniks@aol.com>, my
Plumb Records, an indie label in Boston, as well as managing The Garment District, a
vintage/alternative clothing store there.
David Cassel <email@example.com>,
my wife's uncle, is a physics professor at Cornell U. Don't ask me
what his home page is doing in Texas, it probably has something to
do with the
- Erik Cassel <firstname.lastname@example.org>, my
wife's cousin, now works for Outhink. His wife Rebecca <email@example.com>
is involved with a science education project at UCSF.
- Monika Cassel <firstname.lastname@example.org>, my wife's
cousin, has graduated from U. Mich and taken a position in Santa Fe.
- Phyllis Cassel <email@example.com>, my
mother-in-law, is a nurse and a member of the
Palo Alto city planning commission.
- Graeme Dinsdale <firstname.lastname@example.org>,
my uncle, is a contracter and former Islands Trust commissioner in
Bowen Island, British Columbia.
- Earl Hart <email@example.com>
is a distant cousin in New Zealand.
- Alison Heckler <firstname.lastname@example.org>,
my aunt, is a
travel agent specializing in New Zealand
and Australia. She lives with her husband Derek (my uncle)
in Petaluma, California.
- Angela Heckler <email@example.com>, my cousin, works for
Critical Path, a Silicon Valley
company that handles email for large ISPs.
- James Heckler <firstname.lastname@example.org>,
my cousin, was (last I heard) working in high-tech sail design
after getting a degree in
operations research or something similar.
- Julia Heckler <email@example.com> is yet
another of my cousins.
- Lara Hoskins <firstname.lastname@example.org>
is Angela's, James's, and Julia's sister and another of my cousins.
- Bronwyn Hughes <email@example.com>, my
cousin, is doing something or other in London.
- Pat Hughes <Pat@lbllaw.co.nz
is my aunt.
- Geoff Lealand <firstname.lastname@example.org>, my
uncle, is in the Dept. of
Film and Television Studies, Waikato U., NZ.
Stokes <email@example.com>, my cousin,
runs a networking consulting firm in Wellington, NZ.
- Evelyn M. Stokes <firstname.lastname@example.org>, my
aunt, is a professor in the Geography dept., Waikato
U., NZ, Dame Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit, and a
member of the Waitangi
Tribunal (NZ commission for Maori land claims and other
- Fil Stokes
cousin, is an alternative comix author and alternative musix player.
David Epsteins with the wrong number of P's:
- David Epstein, a businessman, donated money for a
building in the U. Miami school of Business Administration.
- Three people named "David Epstein" have UCSF
chess ratings: one rated 1395 in New Jersey, one rated 2045 in
California, and one rated 1196 in New York.
- David Epstein <email@example.com> posts to
rec.video.satellite.europe, comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom, and
- David Epstein <102136.660@CompuServe.COM>
posts to rec.travel.misc.
- David Epstein <firstname.lastname@example.org>
posts to comp.sys.mac.apps.
- David Epstein
<email@example.com> is an
assistant professor of political science at Columbia U. who
sometimes posts to rec.games.chess.*. This is especially confusing
as I also went to Columbia and have occasionally posted to the same
- David Epstein of Metuchen NJ runs a sports
Prof. David Epstein directs the MIT Symphony Orchestra.
- David Epstein wrote the screenplay for
- David Epstein <firstname.lastname@example.org> knows
conditional compilation in Fortran, attended Supercomputing
'96, and helped invent the F programming
- David A. Epstein is a holistic
- Another David A. Epstein sells the IBM PVS
B. A. Epstein of Warwick U. <email@example.com>
is a topologist, one of the inventors of automatic group theory,
and (very confusingly) associated with the U. Minn. Geometry
Center. Mike Paterson has been trying to get us to co-author
something but it hasn't happened yet.
- David G. Epstein is somehow involved in litigation against
- David G. Epstein
<firstname.lastname@example.org> is a
construction failure lawyer, not the same
as the Piper Aircraft lawyer (!), has a Columbia Univ. Ph.D. (!!),
and works in Irvine (!!!). He has many Epstein cousins, fortunately
not all also named David G.
- David L.
Epstein is a media and research assistant at Rutgers U.
David L. Epstein, M.D. is a professor of opthalmology at Duke
- David M. Epstein <email@example.com> is also
interested in genealogy, and has asked on soc.genealogy.jewish
about his ancestor, Aryeh Lieb Epstein HaLevi of
- David N. Epstein has an obituary in the Nov/Dec
2000 issue of Cornell magazine.
- David Stanley Epstein wrote The Gem Merchant: How to
be one - how to deal with one.
- David Zvi Epstein, age 8, wrote a
story about an elephant and a spaceship.