Skip to main content

Undergraduate Student Policies

Taking Courses Outside of UCI

Continuing Bren School students may take approved, UC-transferable courses (excepting writing classes) at a community college or other university. Please consult with your academic counselor prior to enrollment to verify if it will apply to your degree requirement(s).

» Finding Transferrable Courses
» Transferring Credit to UCI
» Studying Abroad

Finding Transferable Courses

Consult to find courses that are UC-transferable from California Community Colleges.
It is extremely important to consult with a Bren School academic counselor prior to taking off-campus courses, and especially if you are near or in your last year prior to graduation.
A counselor will review your list of proposed courses to:

  • ensure that they will count towards your general education or major requirements
  • ensure that students do not compromise your ability to meet the UCI residence requirement.

If you cannot find an approved course articulation on, you are taking a course at a 4 year institution, or taking a course outside of California, you may need to request a syllabus review in order to count the course towards a degree requirement.

Transferring Credit to UCI

Students must submit an official transcript in order to have any course taken outside of UCI applied to their degree audit.

For courses taken at another 2- or 4-year institution, send official transcripts to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Fill out the Current Student Update Form with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to avoid any delays with transferring coursework.

For courses taken through UCI Continuing Education or Concurrent Enrollment, send transcripts to the Office of the Registrar.

Note: If you are a graduating senior, it is strongly recommended that you submit your transcripts as soon as grades are posted, and inform the appropriate office(s) of that submission.

Studying Abroad

ICS students are encouraged to study abroad. However, it is critical that students plan ahead well in advance of departure. Review the important info below.

Study Abroad Infographic
Students are recommended to study abroad between their 1st and 3rd year.

  • Summer study abroad programs work best for timely academic planning.

Study Abroad Universities
Please note:

  • Students may not study abroad if they have completed their degree requirements.
  • Students who are planning to study abroad between their 1st and 3rd year are highly encouraged to meet with an Academic Counselor in the Bren School prior to applying and after selection.
  • Students wanting to study abroad in their senior year or last 3 quarters of study are required to meet with an Academic Counselor and submit the ICS Academic Planning Form.
    • Students wanting to study abroad in their 2nd to last or last quarter must petition to study abroad. Petitions are not guaranteed to be approved.
  • For Business Information Management (BIM) students: All core MGMT courses must be taken at UCI.